What do I do if I receive a summons?

Many traffic and parking offenses are payable by mail, online or at the Violations Bureau if they do not have “court appearance required” marked on the summons. You may complete the Appearance, Plea and Waiver section on the back of the summons and make your payment by mail, or in person at Glen Rock Borough Hall (1 Harding Plaza, Glen Rock). By doing this, you are waiving your right to a trial and pleading guilty. Call the Violations Bureau at (201) 670-3950 if you do not see the amount to be paid on the back of the summons.

Traffic tickets that do not require a court appearance may now be paid (with a major credit card) online at the New Jersey Municipal Court Direct website.

This website provides convenient access to statewide municipal court records, court directions and hours. By entering the information requested on the site, your ticket will appear, as well as any points involved, the amount of the fine, and any court dates scheduled. If you pay online, there is a fee, which is utilized by the State of New Jersey to expand and improve the website program.

Not all tickets are payable online. Some have mandatory court appearances, such as driving while intoxicated or revoked. You also have a right to plead not guilty to any ticket. If there are points involved or you wish to plead not guilty, you may contact court personnel at the Wyckoff/Glen Rock Violations Bureau, (201) 670-3950, in order to schedule a court date.

All criminal matters are not payable and must be heard before the Judge in court. If you would like to plead not guilty to a summons, telephone or write to the Violations Bureau at least a week prior to the court date listed on the summons. Again, please note this must be done by telephone or in person, it cannot be done via the website or email. You may represent yourself or have an attorney represent you. If you cannot afford an attorney and you face a consequence of magnitude (a substantial fine, loss of driving privileges or incarceration), a Public Defender application may be filled out at your first court appearance for the Judge to review. If an interpreter is needed, one will be provided by the court. The court is unable to recommend attorneys but will provide you with the number of Bergen County Legal Services. They will assist you if you need a recommendation. Please do not hesitate to call the Violations Bureau if you have any questions or are unsure as to how to proceed.