Wyckoff Police Chief, David V. Murphy, reminds residents of the need to exercise parental supervision of their children and to be involved in their children’s lives, especially with proms and graduation parties approaching.
Chief Murphy to know the parents of your child’s friends. Knowing what they do for a living is no criteria for allowing your children to build a friendship. Know their schedules, rules, and level of supervision in and at their friend’s home.
- Hold your kids accountable for their actions. Let them know there will be consequences if they are involved in inappropriate or improper behavior. Teach them responsibility.
- Listen to what they have to say without being judgmental or critical.
- Show interest in their interests.
- Spend time with your children; money and material goods cannot replace your personal attention.
- Maximize positive influences in their lives and minimize the negative influences and role models.
- Get to know your children.
Today’s children are forced to grow rapidly, in a rapidly changing world and need to find a stability which should be provided first from within their homes.