Building Permit Information

Permits protect your rights as a homeowner and consumer and ensure your safety in your home. You must obtain a building permit from the town's building department. The Building Department has 20 working days to review your permit. If it is not released in 20 working days, the application is considered denied. Obtain a building permit before making the following changes to your house:

Small Construction Jobs:

  • Interior alterations
  • Installing central air conditioning
  • Installing new siding
  • Installing a fireplace, gas or wood burning
  • Installing ductwork
  • Installing or building a shed larger than 100 square feet
  • New wiring or outlets
  • Renovating a bathroom or kitchen
  • Installing an underground sprinkler system
  • Removing or abandoning an oil tank
  • Upgrading the electric service
  • Installing driveway post lights
  • Demolition of shed or building
  • Installing a concrete patio
  • Installing new interior or exterior entry to house, garage or basement

Large Construction Jobs:

*Variance may be required prior to obtaining permit.

  • Building an addition
  • Building a new bedroom or bathroom
  • Building a garage, attached or detached
  • Finishing a basement
  • Enclosing a porch, new porch
  • Constructing a deck
  • Installing an in-ground or above ground pool

Renovating or Replacing:

  • Replacing an underground sprinkler system
  • Repairing a chimney
  • Replacing or repairing a roof that exceeds 25% of the roof
  • Replacing siding that exceeds 25% of the house
  • Renovating porch or stairs
  • Renovating a garage or accessory building
  • Replacing an electric stove with a gas stove
  • Replacing a furnace, boiler or hot water heater
  • Replacing central air conditioning
  • Modernizing plumbing

Engineering Permits: 

  • Any work within the public right-of-way
  • Creating additional off-street parking
  • Piping leaders to seepage pits or storm sewers
  • Constructing a retaining wall
  • Replacing or installing septic system
  • Connecting to Town sewers
  • Curb cutting requires a permit
  • Replacing sidewalks and curbs; installing new sidewalk and curb

Zoning Permits:

  • Installing or building a shed less than 100 square feet
  • Installing or replace a fence


Construction permits are obtained from the Construction Office in the lower level of the Town Hall. If building permits are not obtained for improvements, penalties are imposed.

Be Advised:  If you or your contractor are found to be performing work without the required permits, FINES will be issued. Fines can range from $500 to $2,000. Per N.J. State Law 13:45A-16.2 final inspections are required before final payment is made to contractor.  For more information, refer to Uniform Construction Code NJSA: 52-27D-119 et seq. of the State of NJ.

For any questions, call the Building Department at (201) 891-7000. Homeowners are encouraged to call the Building Department before starting work to determine if the work requires a permit.