Whether this is your first experience as a coach or you have been coaching for several years, you will need to fulfill all four (4) mandatory requirements below. This may sound like a lot on the surface, but after reading all the below information, you will note that it is very simple. Please know that we are here to help.
1. National Alliance for Youth Sports (NAYS): register at www.nays.org . Choose the (training & membership tab) on the top left of your screen. Choose the (coaches tab) on the top left of your screen. Choose the (sign-up tab) located at the middle left of your screen. The registration fee is $20.00 and includes (3-hour, on-line training, testing, sports specific fundamentals and training, and membership benefits. Additional sports specific training is available at $5.00 each). The certification does not have to be renewed. Please send us a copy of your certification to the recreation office.
2. Concussion Awareness Training: register at www.nays.org. Choose the (programs tab) on the top of your screen. Choose the (more, free coach and parent training tab). Choose (concussion training tab). This training needs to be renewed every two years. Please send us a copy of your certification to the recreation office.
3. Required CHILD ABUSE PROTECTION TRAINING
Register at: www.firstnetcampus.com/meljif. Click “New User Registration”. First letter=W; Municipality=Wyckoff; Department=Recreation. Please create a username and password. Employee Status=Volunteer and Department=Parks and Recreation. Put in your username and password to begin. Click on the online training courses at the bottom right. Click the “Protecting Children from Abuse” course and then click “Enroll”. Go to the “My Training” tab on the top blue tool bar and click the program name to launch the course. Upon completion, click the “student center” tab on the blue tool bar to print your certificate and return a copy to the recreation office.Upon completion click the “student center” tab on the blue tool bar to print your certificate and return a copy to the recreation office.
4. Criminal Background Checks: This item must be completed by emailing the Recreation Director at [email protected] and requesting a Criminal Background Check. An email will subsequently be sent to the prospective volunteer with directions on completing the Criminal Background Check. Background checks must be renewed every three (3) years.
5. Parent Sportsmanship Pledge/Coach Code of Conduct, Zero Tolerance Towards Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying Policy, and the Volunteers Communicating Electronically Regarding Municipal Operations Policy: Upon registering for a program at our online registration site, you will be asked to review and confirm that you have read these three documents. Adherence to the rules and regulations contained within these documents is expected while volunteering. View the Code of Conduct here.
Please accept our thanks for volunteering to promote a positive recreational experience for the children of Wyckoff and for sharing your knowledge and experience to provide a fun and safe opportunity for skill development in our wide variety of programs. Additional information and Reference Materials for Coaches can be found here.
Should you have any further questions, feel free to contact the Recreation Department at (201) 891-3350 or by email.